Many open-file reports from the KGS Geohydrology Section have been placed online.
Maps and Publications
For a complete list of publications, including those online, please use the Bibliography of Kansas Geology.
- Open-file Rept. 2004-11
- Water Right Development in Kansas, by Blake Brownie Wilson and Danli Li. A map developed by the Kansas Geological Survey showing water rights location and type, special water appropriation management areas, and total appropriated quantity and reported water use by county.
- KGS Special Map 9
- General availability of ground water and normal annual precipitation in Kansas
- Bulletin 249
- Ground-water Recharge and Water Budgets of the Kansas High Plains and Related Aquifers, by Marios Sophocleous.
- Bulletin 244, part 2
- Revisions to the Nomenclature for Kansas Aquifers, by P. Allen Macfarlane. Revision of names for aquifers in Kansas based on lithologic, lithostratigraphic, or geographic names
- KGS Educational Series 10
- Kansas Ground Water--An Introduction to the State's Water Quantity, Quality, and Management Issues, compiled by Rex Buchanan and Robert W. Buddemeier
- Topographic Maps of Kansas Lakes and Reservoirs
- New maps of several of the state's reservoirs are now available. Each map shows the entire lake and the area surrounding it. Previous topographic maps generally included only parts of each lake; to produce a topographic map of an entire lake, customers had to purchase several maps and splice them together.
Public Information Circulars
These circulars address the issues of water resources. A complete list of Public Information Circulars is available on the Publications Index Page.
- Playas in Kansas and the High Plains
- Stormwater Runoff into Sand Pits--Effects on Ground-water Quality
- Drilling a Water Well on Your Land: What You Should Know
- Ground-water Recharge in Kansas
- The High Plains Aquifer
- Nitrate in Kansas Ground Water
- Measuring Water Levels in Kansas
- Kansas Springs
- Information Resources for Ground-water Exploration in the Dakota Aquifer
- Safe Yield and Sustainable Development of Water Resources in Kansas
- Water-supply-suitability Areas of the Dakota Aquifer in Kansas
- The Dakota Aquifer System in Kansas
- Salt Contamination of Ground Water in South Central Kansas
- A User's Guide to Well-spacing Requirements for the Dakota Aquifer in Kansas