Be sure and check these pages for other categories:
- County Bulletins and Primary Reports
- Current Research
- KGS Online Bibliography of Geology
- KGS Open-file Reports
- "GeologicRecord" newsletter
Chemical Quality Series
- Chemical Quality Series 12
- A survey of organic carbon and trihalomethane formation potential in Kansas ground waters, by Rachel E. Miller, Stephen J. Randtke, Lawrence R. Hathaway, and Jane E. Denne. Published in 1991.
- Chemical Quality Series 10
- Chemical Quality of Irrigation Waters in the Equus Beds Area, South-Central Kansas, by L. R. Hathaway, T. C. Waugh, O. K. Gaile, and H. P. Dickey. Published in 1981.
- Chemical Quality Series 9
- Discharge of Saltwater from Permian Rocks to Major Stream-aquifer Systems in Central Kansas, by Tony Gogel. Published in 1981.
- Chemical Quality Series 8
- Chemical Quality of Irrigation Waters in Northwestern Kansas, by L. R. Hathaway, T. C. Waugh, O. K. Galle, and H. P. Dickey. Published in 1979.
- Chemical Quality Series 7
- Chemical Quality of Irrigation Waters in Ford County and the Great Bend Prairie of Kansas, by L. R. Hathaway, O. K. Galle, T. C. Waugh, and H. P. Dickey. Published in 1978.
- Chemical Quality Series 6
- Chemical Quality of Irrigation Waters in Southwestern Kansas, by L. R. Hathaway, B. L. Carr, M. A. Flanagan, O. K. Galle, T. C. Waugh, H. P. Dickey, L. M. Magnuson. Published in 1977.
- Chemical Quality Series 5
- Ground Water from Lower Cretaceous Rocks in Kansas, by Katherine M. Keene and Charles K. Bayne. Published in 1977.
- Chemical Quality Series 4
- Chemical Quality of Irrigation Waters in Hamilton, Kearny, Finney, and Northern Gray Counties, by L. R. Hathaway, B. L. Carr, O. K. Galle, L. M. Magnuson, T. C. Waugh, and H. P. Dickey. Published in 1981.
- Chemical Quality Series 3
- Saline Water in the Little Arkansas River Basin Area, South-Central Kansas, by Robert B. Leonard and Melvin K. Kleinschmidt. Published in 1981.
- Chemical Quality Series 2
- Chemical Quality of Irrigation Waters in West-central Kansas, by L. R. Hathaway, L. M. Magnuson, B. L. Carr, O. K. Galle, T. C. Waugh. Published in 1975.
- Chemical Quality Series 1
- Changes In Chemical Quality of Water, Cedar Bluff Irrigation District Area, West-Central Kansas, by Robert B. Leonard. Published in 1975.
- Educational Series 15
- A Kansan's Guide to Science, by Paulyn Cartwright, Roger L. Kaesler, Bruce S. Lieberman, Adrian L. Melott. Published in 2000.
- Educational Series 12
- Climate and Weather Atlas of Kansas: An Introduction, by Douglas G. Goodin, James E. Mitchell, Mary C. Knapp, and Raymond E. Bivens. Published in 1995. (Aug. 2015)
- Educational Series 10
- Kansas ground water--An introduction to the state's water quantity, quality, and management issues, compiled by Rex Buchanan and Robert W. Buddemeier. Published in 1993.
- Educational Series 7
- Petroleum: a primer for Kansas. The story behind the techniques, philosophies, and struggles of finding oil and gas in Kansas. It is written in non-technical language for those who have interests in the petroleum industry in one way or another, but who have had little or no training in the technical fields involved.
- Educational Series 6
- From Sea to Prairie--A Primer of Kansas Geology. A general discussion of the changing Kansas landscape, geologic time, rocks and minerals, and fossils of Kansas is undertaken. The state is broken into 11 regions, and the book addresses the rock type, age, and landscape of each region.
- Educational Series 1
- Ancient Life Found in Kansas Rocks--An Introduction to Common Kansas Fossils. An introduction to common Kansas fossils, their formation and classification, and the geologic history of Kansas. Definitions for difficult terminology. Color illustrations.
Energy Resource Series
- Energy Resource Series 22
- Potential Oil Recovery from Kansas Oil Shales, by Dale G. Schlinsog and Ernest Angino. Published in 1983.
Environmental Geology Series
- Environmental Geology Series 2
- A Revised and Augmented List of Earthquake Intensities for Kansas, 1867-1977, by Susan M. DuBois and Frank W. Wilson. Published in 1978. (December 2015)
- Geology Series 5
- Stratigraphy, petrography, and depositional environment of sandstones in the Rock Lake Shale Member of the Stanton Limestone (Missourian Stage, Upper Pennsylvanian) in southeastern Kansas, by Reza Moussavi-Harami. Published in 1990.
- Geology Series 4
- Lost Branch Formation and revision of upper Desmoinesian stratigraphy along midcontinent Pennsylvanian outcrop belt, by Philip H. Heckel. Published in 1991.
- Geology Series 3
- Stratigraphy, petrology, and paleogeography of the upper portion of the Cherokee Group (Middle Pennsylvanian), eastern Kansas and northeastern Oklahoma, by Robert L. Brenner. Published in 1989.
- Geology Series 2
- Potential Uranium Host Rocks and Structures in the Central Great Plains, by E. J. Zeller, G. Dreschhoff, E. Angino, K. Holdoway, W. Hakes, G. Jayaprakash, K. Crisler, and D. F. Saunders. Published in 1976.
- Geology Series 1
- Description of the Surficial Rocks in Cherokee County, Southeastern Kansas, by William J. Seevers. Published in 1975.
Ground Water Series
- Ground Water Series 12
- Movement and aquifer contamination potential of atrazine and inorganic chemicals in central Kansas croplands, by Marios Sophocleous, M. A. Townsend, Costas Orountiotis, R. A. Evenson, D. O. Whittemore, C. E. Watts, and E. T. Marks. Published in 1990.
- Ground Water Series 11
- Hydrologic-balance Modeling of the Rattlesnake Creek Watershed, Kansas, by Marios Sophocleous and James McAllister. Published in 1990.
- Ground Water Series 9
- The hydrogeology and chemical quality of ground waters from the lower Paleozoic aquifers in the Tri-State region of Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma, by P. Allen Macfarlane and Lawrence R. Hathaway. Published in 1987.
- Ground Water Series 8
- Demonstrative model for identifying ground-water-management options in a contaminated aquifer, by Susan J. Colarullo, Manoutchehr Heidari, and Thomas Maddock III. Published in 1985.
- Ground Water Series 7
- Optimization of the High Plains Aquifer Observation Network, Kansas, by Ricardo A. Olea. Published in 1982.
- Ground Water Series 6
- An Automated Numerical Evaluation of Leaky Aquifer Pumping Test Data: An Application of Sensitivity Analysis, by Patrick M. Cobb, Carl D. McElwee, and Munir A. Butt. Published in 1982.
- Ground Water Series 5
- An Integrated Approach for Locating Glacial Buried Valleys, by Jane E. Denne, Don W. Steeples, Marios A. Sophocleous, Anthony F. Severini, and James R. Lucas. Published in 1982.
- Ground Water Series 4
- Groundwater Management Options for the Pawnee Valley of South-central Kansas, by Manoutchehr Heidari. Published in 1982.
- Ground Water Series 3
- The Theis Equation: Evaluation, Sensitivity to Storage and Transmissivity, and Automated Fit of Pumptest Data, by Carl D. McElwee. Published in 1980.
- Ground Water Series 2
- Geohydrology of Nemaha County, Northeastern Kansas, by John R. Ward. Published in 1974.
- Ground Water Series 1
- Geology and Ground-water Resources of Montgomery County, Southeastern Kansas, by Howard G. O'Connor. Published in 1974.
- Guidebook 5
- Quaternary Environments of Kansas--33rd Field Conference, Midwest Friends of the Pleistocene, August 1986, William C. Johnson, editor. Published in 1987.
- Guidebook 4
- Pennsylvanian Cyclic Platform Deposits of Kansas and Nebraska, by Philip H. Heckel, Lawrence L. Brady, W. James Ebanks, Jr., and Roger K. Pabian. Published in 1978.
- Guidebook 3
- Upper Cretaceous Stratigraphy and Depositional Environments of Western Kansas, by Donald E. Hattin and Charles T. Siemers. Published in 1978, reprinted in 1987 with some modifications.
- Guidebook 2
- Field Guide to Upper Pennsylvanian Cyclothemic Limestone Facies in Eastern Kansas, by Philip H. Heckel. Published in 1978.
- Guidebook 1
- Stratigraphy and Faunal Sequence--Meade County, Kansas, Guidebook, 24th Annual Meeting Midwestern Friends of the Pleistocene, by C. K. Bayne, J. D. Boellstorff, B. B. Miller. Published in 1976.
- Irrigation Series 8
- Geohydrology of sandstone aquifers in southwestern Kansas, by Jack Kume and Joseph M. Spinazola. Published in 1985.
- Irrigation Series 7
- Geohydrology of Southwestern Kansas, by Edwin D. Gutentag, David H. Lobmeyer, and Steven E. Slagle. Published in 1981.
- Irrigation Series 6
- Hydrology and Model of North Fork Solomon River Valley, Kirwin Dam to Waconda Lake, North-central Kansas, by Donald G. Jorgensen and Lloyd E. Stullken. Published in 1981.
- Irrigation Series 5
- Water in the Dakota Formation, Hodgeman and Northern Ford Counties, Southwestern Kansas, by David H. Lobmeyer and Edward C. Weakly. Published in 1979.
- Irrigation Series 4
- Geohydrology of the Great Bend Prairie, South-Central Kansas, by Stuart W. Fader and Lloyd E. Stullken. Published in 1978.
- Irrigation Series 3
- Water-Resources Reconnaissance of Ness County, West-Central Kansas, by Edward D. Jenkins and Marilyn E. Pabst. Published in 1977.
- Irrigation Series 2
- Ground-Water Resources of Greeley and Wichita Counties, Western Kansas, by Steven E. Slagle and Edward C. Weakly. Published in 1976.
- Irrigation Series 1
- Ground-Water Resources of Lane and Scott Counties, Western Kansas, by Edwin D. Gutentag and Lloyd E. Stullken. Published in 1976.
Oil and Gas Investigations
- Oil and Gas Investigations 28
- Subsurface Geologic Cross Section of Paleozoic Rocks from Butler County to Stafford County, Kansas, by W. L. Adkison. Published in 1963.
Mineral Resources Circular
- Mineral Resources Circular 12
- Oil and Gas Seeps in Smith County, Kansas, by Kenneth K. Landes and John M. Jewett. Published in 1939. (July 2015)
- Mineral Resources Circular 11
- Geology and Oil and Gas Resources of Logan, Gove, and Trego Counties, Kansas, by Kenneth K. Landes and Raymond P. Keroher. Published in 1939.
- Mineral Resources Circular 9
- Water Supplies from Wells Available for Irrigation in the Uplands of Ford County, Kansas, by S. W. Lohman. Published in 1938. (July 2015)
- Mineral Resources Circular 8
- Rock Wool Resources of Kansas, Appendix, by Norman Plummer. Published in 1937. (July 2015)
- Mineral Resources Circular 7
- Geology of Rawlins and Decatur Counties with Special Reference to Water Resources, by Maxim K. Elias. Published in 1937.
- Mineral Resources Circular 6
- Mineral Resources of Kansas Counties, by Kenneth K. Landes. Published in 1937. (Feb. 2016)
- Mineral Resources Circular 5
- Rock Wool Resources of Kansas, by Norman Plummer. Published in 1937. (Jan. 2016)
- Mineral Resources Circular 4
- Oil and Gas Resources of Rush County, Kansas, by Kenneth K. Landes and Raymond P. Keroher. Published in 1938.
Mineral Resources Series
- Mineral Resources Series 5
- An Evaluation of the Strippable Coal Reserves in Kansas, by Lawrence L. Brady, Diana B. Adams, Neal D. Livingston. Published in 1976. (March 2015)
- Petrophysical Series 5
- Lithofacies analysis of the Simpson Group in south-central Kansas, by J. H. Doveton, R. R. Charpentier, and E. P. Metzger. Published in 1990.
- Petrophysical Series 3
- Lithofacies analysis of the Viola Limestone in South-central Kansas, by E. Bornemann, J. H. Doveton, and P. N. St.Clair. Published in 1982.
Special Distribution Publications
- Special Distribution Publication 53
- Pleistocene Stratigraphy of Missouri River Valley Along the Kansas-Missouri Border, C. K. Bayne H. G. O'Connor, S. N. Davis and W. B. Howe, Field Trip Leaders. Published in 1971.
- Special Distribution Publication 22
- Logs of Wells and Test Holes in Sedgwick County, Kansas, by Charles W. Lane and Don E. Miller. Published in 1965.
Subsurface Geology Series
- Subsurface Geology Series 14
- Interpretive subcrop map of the Precambrian basement in the Joplin 1° x 2° quadrangle, by Pieter Berendsen and Kevin P. Blair. Published in 1991.
- Subsurface Geology Series 13
- Structural control of the distribution of subtidal to supratidal paleoenvironments of the Americus Limestone Member (lowermost bed) in eastern Kansas, by Jonathan C. Sporleder. Published in 1991.
- Subsurface Geology Series 12
- Sedimentary Modeling: Computer Simulation of Depositional Sequences, Evan K. Franseen and W. Lynn Watney, editors. Published in 1989.
- Subsurface Geology Series 11
- Geochemistry of Cherokee Group oils of southeastern Kansas and northeastern Oklahoma, by J. R. Hatch, J. D. King, and T. A. Daws. Published in 1989.
- Subsurface Geology Series 10
- Oil and gas shows in the Salina basin, by K. David Newell, Michael Lambert, and Pieter Berendsen. Published in 1988.
- Subsurface Geology Series 9
- Stratigraphic and Spatial Distribution of Oil and Gas Production in Kansas, by K. David Newell, W. Lynn Watney, Stephen W. L. Cheng, and Richard L. Brownrigg. Published in 1987.
- Subsurface Geology Series 8
- Subsurface structural maps over the Central North American rift system (CNARS), central Kansas, with discussion, by Pieter Berendsen and Kevin P. Blair. Published in 1986.
- Subsurface Geology Series 6
- Core studies in Kansas: Sedimentology and diagenesis of economically important rock strata in Kansas, compiled by W. L. Watney, A. W. Walton, and J. H. Doveton. Published in 1985.
- Subsurface Geology Series 5
- Historical Changes in Oil-field Populations as a Method of Forecasting Field Sizes of Undiscovered Populations: A Comparison of Kansas, Wyoming, and California, by John W. Harbaugh and Michel Ducastaing. Published in 1981.
- Subsurface Geology Series 4
- Organic-walled Microplankton in the Subsurface Ordovician of Northeastern Kansas, by Robert P. Wright and William C. Meyers. Published in 1981.
- Subsurface Geology Series 2
- Subsurface Ordovician-Cambrian Rocks in Kansas, by Virgil B. Cole. Published in 1975.
- Technical Series 22
- Mineralogical and Chemical Evolution of Lamproites in Woodson and Wilson Counties, Southeastern Kansas, by Robert L. Cullers and Pieter Berendsen. Published in 2011.
- Technical Series 21
- Guidebook of the 18th Biennial Meeting of the American Quaternary Association, Rolfe D. Mandel, editor. Published in 2006.
- Technical Series 13
- Geochemistry of Oils and Hydrocarbon Source Rocks from the Forest City Basin, Northeastern Kansas, Northwestern Missouri, Southwestern Iowa, and Southeastern Nebraska, by Joseph R. Hatch and K. David Newell. Published in 1999.
- Technical Series 7
- Surficial geology and stratigraphy of Russell County, Kansas, by Alan F. Arbogast and William C. Johnson. Published in 1996.
- Technical Series 2
- User's Guide to the Dakota Aquifer in Kansas, P. Allen Macfarlane, John H. Doveton, and Donald O. Whittemore. Published in 1998.
- Technical Series 1
- Surficial geology and stratigraphy of Phillips County, Kansas, with emphasis on the Quaternary Period, by William C. Johnson. Published in 1993.
- Volume 13
- Geology, Mineral Resources, and Ground-water Resources of Osage County, Kansas, by Howard G. O'Connor, Walter H. Schoewe, Edwin D. Goebel, and Norman Plummer. Published in 1955.
- M-7 (Acrobat PDF, 6 MB)
- Configuration of the Top of the Precambrian Rocks in Kansas, by V. B. Cole. Published in 1976.
Circulars (old series)
- Circular 5
- Preliminary Report on Ground Water Resources of the Shallow Water Basin in Scott and Finney Counties, Kansas, by Rycroft G. Moss. Published in 1933. (Feb. 2016)
- Circular 4
- Mineral Resources of Wyandotte County, by Norman D. Newell. Published in 1931. (Feb. 2016)
- Circular 3
- Diatomaceous Marl From Western Kansas, a Possible Source of Hydraulic Lime. Published in 1931. (Feb. 2016)
- An early Report
- Report of the Geological Survey of Miami County, Kansas, by G.C. Swallow and F. Hawn. Published in 1865.
- Volume VI
- Paleontology--Part II: Cretaceous Fishes--Selachians and Pycnodonts, by Samuel W. Williston. Published in 1900.
- KGS Annual Report 2005