Donald O. Whittemore
Senior Scientific Fellow, Geohydrology,
Kansas Geological Survey
- B.S. (Chemistry), University of New Hampshire, 1966
- Ph.D. (Geochemistry), Pennsylvania State University, 1973
- 1978-present: Geohydrology Section, Kansas Geological Survey
- 1972-1978: Assistant Professor, Kansas State University
- 1988-present: Courtesy Associate Professor, University of Kansas
Selected Professional Activities and Awards
- Organizer/Coordinator, Midwest Groundwater Conference, 2014
- Fellow, Geological Society of America, 2006
- Chief, Geohydrology Section, Kansas Geological Survey, 1996-2006
- President, Kansas Academy of Science, 1991
- Best Paper Award 1976, Second Place, journal Ground Water
Interest and Expertise:
- Water resources of the High Plains aquifer
- Geochemistry of surface and ground-water resources
- Identification and tracing of saltwater sources contaminating water resources
- Spatial and temporal variations in ground-water quality
- Conceptual framework for numerical models of groundwater flow in Kansas
- Whittemore, D.O., Butler, J.J., Jr., and Wilson, B.B., 2016, Assessing the major drivers of water-level declines: new insights into the future of heavily stressed aquifers: Hydrological Sciences Journal (in press), DOI: 10.1080/02626667.2014.959958. [Abstract online]
- Whittemore, D.O., Macfarlane, P.A., and Wilson, B.B., 2014, Water resources of the Dakota aquifer in Kansas: Kansas Geological Survey, Bulletin 260, 60 p. [Online]
- Butler, J.J., Jr., Bohling, G.C., Brookfield, A.E., Liu, G., Whittemore, D.O., and Wilson, B.B., 2014, Importance of a sound hydrologic foundation for assessing the future of the High Plains Aquifer in Kansas: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 111(5):E531, doi:10.1073/pnas.1322176111. [Online]
- Butler, J.J., Jr., Stotler, R.L., Whittemore, D.O., and Reboulet, E.C., 2013, Interpretation of water-level changes in the High Plains aquifer in western Kansas: Groundwater 51 (2), 180-190, DOI: 10.1111/j.1745-6584.2012.00988.x.
- Whittemore, D.O., 2012. Potential impacts of stormwater runoff on water quality in urban sand pits and adjacent groundwater: J. American Water Resources Association 48(3): 584-602. DOI: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00637.x.
- Nippert, J.B., Butler, J.J., Jr., Kluitenberg, G.J., Whittemore, D.O., Arnold, D., Spal, S.E., and Ward, J.K., 2010, Patterns of Tamarix water use during a record drought: Oecologia, 162, 283-292; DOI 10.1007/s00442-009-1455-1.
- Whittemore, D.O., 2007, Fate and identification of oil-brine contamination in different hydrogeologic settings: Applied Geochemistry 22 (10), 2099-2114.
- Butler, J.J., Jr., Kluitenberg, G.J., Whittemore, D.O., Loheide, S.P., II, Jin, W., Billinger, M.A., and Zhan, X., 2007, A field investigation of phreatophyte-induced fluctuations in the water table: Water Resources Research 43, W02404, doi:10.1029/2005WR004627.
- Machavaram, M.V., Whittemore, D.O., Conrad, M.E., and Miller, N.L., 2006, Precipitation induced stream flow: An event based chemical and isotopic study of a small stream in the Great Plains region of the USA: J. Hydrology 330, 470-480.
- Tsou, M.-S., Perkins, S.P., Zhan, X., Whittemore, D.O., and Zheng, Z., 2006, Inverse approaches with lithologic information for a regional groundwater system in southwest Kansas: J. Hydrology 318 (1-4), 292-300.
- Tsou, M.-S., and Whittemore, D.O., 2001, User interface for ground-water modeling: ArcView Extension: J. Hydrologic Engineering 6 (3), 251-257.
- Whittemore, D.O., Tsou, M.-S., and McElwee, C., 2000, Arkansas River salinity and contamination of the High Plains aquifer: Proceedings 2000 USCID International Conference, Challenges Facing Irrigation and Drainage in the New Millennium, Vol. 1, p. 225-246, U.S. Committee on Irrigation and Drainage, Denver, CO.
- Macfarlane, P.A., Clark, J.F., Davisson, M.L., Hudson, G.B., and Whittemore, D.O., 2000, Late Quaternary recharge determined from chloride in shallow groundwater from the central Great Plains: Quaternary Research 53, 167-174.
- Davis, S.N., Whittemore, D.O., and Fabryka-Martin, J., 1998, Uses of chloride/bromide ratios in studies of potable water, Ground Water 36(2), 338-351.
- Whittemore, D.O., 1995, Geochemical differentiation of oil and gas brine from other saltwater sources contaminating water resources: Case studies from Kansas and Oklahoma: Environmental Geosciences 2, 15-31.
- Yu, Y-S., Zou, S., and Whittemore, D.O., 1993, Non-parametric trend analysis of water quality data of rivers in Kansas: J. Hydrology 150, 61-80.
- Zou, S., and Whittemore, D.O., 1993, Identification of surface water-quality patterns of the Arkansas River basin: J. Environmental Science Health A28(9), 2005-2027.
- Whittemore, D.O., and Fabryka-Martin, J., 1992, Halogen geochemistry of Cretaceous sandstone aquifers in North America: in Y.K. Kharaka and A.S. Maest, eds., Water-Rock Interaction, Vol. 1, Low Temperature Environments, Balkema, Rotterdam, Netherlands, p. 855-858.
- Fabryka-Martin, J., Whittemore, D.O., Davis, S.N., Kubik, P., and Sharma, P., 1991, Geochemistry of halogens in the Milk River aquifer, Alberta, Canada: Applied Geochemistry 6, 447-464.
- Alpers, C.N., and Whittemore, D.O., 1990, Hydrogeochemistry and stable isotopes of ground and surface waters from two adjacent closed basins, Atacama Desert, northern Chile: Applied Geochemistry 5, 719-734.
- Sophocleous, M., Townsend, M.A., and Whittemore, D.O., 1990, Aquifer contamination potential of atrazine in central Kansas croplands: J. Hydrology 115, 115-137.
- Knuth, M., Jackson, J.L., and Whittemore, D.O., 1990, An integrated approach to identifying the salinity source contaminating a ground-water supply: Ground Water 28 (2), 207-214.
- Whittemore, D.O., McGregor, K.M., and Marotz, G.A., 1989, Effects of variations in recharge on ground-water quality: J. Hydrology 106, 131-145.
- Nordstrom, D.K., Ball, J.W., Donahoe, R.J., and Whittemore, D.O., 1989, Groundwater chemistry and water-rock interactions at Stripa: Geochimica Cosmochimica Acta 53 (8), 1727-1740.
Kansas Geological Survey,
Updated Oct. 28, 2015
Comments to firstname.lastname@example.org