Kansas Rotary-cutting samples
Rotary-cutting samples are stored at the Wichita Office of the Kansas Geological Survey and are available for inspection or checkout. To request samples, complete a Sample Request and Check-out Form and submit to WWSL by either mail, fax or email. For assistance contact the Wichita Office at (316) 943-2343 or Mike Dealy, Manager for Wichita Operations.
In Kansas, Township values
vary from 1 in the north to 35 in the south, and the values for Range are
from 1-43 West and 1-25 East. Values for Section are 1 to 36.
Range Direction is ignored unless a Range value is entered.
|Enter values for any or all parameters
Sample Submission Form
Sample Request Form
You may also have all the data currently available in one file. The database has records of 147,000 wells and creates a file of around 32 MB. The link below contains the data in a comma-delimited, ASCII file that should be readable by normal spreadsheet or database software. This is a large file at 32 MB. The complete file will not fit into Excel; it is better to use the search page and select just the wells you need.
Hold your right mouse button down when you click on the link and select "Save Link to Disk" from the pop-up menu or the data file will be displayed as a web page. On Macintosh computers, hold your mouse button down and a pop-up menu should appear.
(Updated Jan. 3, 2017)
Service and Fee Schedule
Effective January 1, 2015
Sample Processing Fee--Except for Prepared samples, well samples submitted to the Kansas Geological Survey (KGS) for preservation are charged a processing fee for each foot of the preserved sample interval. Sample interval means from the beginning depth of the sample below land surface to the ending depth of the sample below land surface. An adjustment will be allowed for continuous sample skips that are equal to or greater than 10 percent of the total sample interval.
Well Samples Processed
|Minimum Processing Fee||$20.00
- Regular Sample--Samples are clean, dry and placed in properly and legibly labeled sample bags that are grouped by sample depth and the Request to Preserve Formation Samples or Drill Cuttings form is complete and legible.
- Irregular Sample--Samples are dirty, wet or placed in incorrectly or illegibly labeled samples bags that are loose and disorganized or the Request to Preserve Formation Samples or Drill Cuttings form is incomplete, illegible or missing.
- Duplicate Sample--Operator requests an additional sample set. Duplicate sample classification is based on original sample condition.
- Confidential Sample--Operator requests confidential status from the Kansas Corporation Commission.
- Prepared Sample--Each clean and dry sample interval is placed in a three inch by five inch, manila envelope with a metal fold top, the sample envelopes are sorted or grouped by interval and correctly and legibly labeled with the following well information:
- Company name,
- Well number and name,
- API number
- Vertical wells, 000-000-00000, and
- Horizontal wells, 000-000-00000-0000
- Spot location,
- Section, Township and Range,
- Sample interval, start and end depths feet from land surface, and
- Any circulation depths and minutes.
|Sample Check Out Request per box||$3.00
|Sample Examination Loan In-house per box||$0.00
|Sample Examination Loan--Mini 30 day limit per box||$8.00
|Sample Examination Loan--Regular 60 day limit per box||$15.00
|Sample Examination Loan--Max 90 day limit per box||$22.00
|Overdue Loan per box per day||$1.00
|Shipping and Handling per box||$2.00
|Postage or Freight||Actual
|Sample Envelope each||$0.10
|Printed Sample Label per foot||$0.04
|Library Sample Box each||$1.25
|Sample Bag 100 per box||$25.00
|Shipping Container each--small||$1.10
|Shipping Container each--large||$1.50
|Copy per document per side||$0.25
|Scan per document per side||$0.50
|Fax per document per side||$1.00
|Copy, fax, or scan per side larger than 8 1/2" x 11"||$2.00
|Lost or Damaged Samples per box||$300.00
Sample Check-out and Return
- The Kansas Geological Survey (KGS) allows provisional access to check-out and examine formation samples or well cuttings providing:
- the account of the individual, operator or company requesting to check-out and examine samples is up-to-date and in good standing with the KGS,
- the individual, operator or company agrees to accept responsibility for the protection, safekeeping, care, return and payment of fees for the well samples checked out, and
- a request to check-out samples is made by completing a Sample Request and Check-out Form and submitting the completed form to Wichita Well Sample Library (WWSL) by either mail, fax, email or in person.
- Payment of service fees for new or out-of-date accounts is due prior to either receipt or shipment of samples.
- KGS reserves the right to allow or prohibit samples to be checked-out for off-site examination.
- The maximum number of well sample boxes an individual, operator or company may check-out from the WWSL is 10 boxes.
- Sample requests or cancellations received at WWSL after 12:00 PM are considered next workday's business.
- Samples checked out from the WWSL and not picked up after five days are returned to the sample library and the appropriate service fees are charged.
- Samples not returned to WWSL by the end of the loan period are overdue:
- A sample check out request must be made prior to the end of the sample examination loan period to prevent an overdue fee, and
- Until the samples are checked in at WWSL, overdue fees accrue daily and are invoiced monthly.
- Special provisions, acceptable to the KGS, must be made in advance of check-out, if either:
- A longer loan period is required for sample examination, or
- more than 10 sample boxes are requested.
- An individual, operator or company shall either:
- be charged a fee, as stipulated in the Service Fee schedule, for each lost sample box, or
- provide replacement well samples, acceptable to KGS, for all lost or missing well samples associated with the box, and
- be charged a fee, as stipulated in the Service Fee schedule, for damaged samples in a box, or
- provide replacement well samples, acceptable to KGS, for all damaged well samples in a box.
- "Damaged," means more than twenty-five percent of the samples in the box are rendered unusable for examination, as determined by KGS.
Pyrolysis Testing of Samples--Pyrolysis testing is destructive and irreversible as sufficient heat is applied to the samples causing chemical and physical decomposition. The Kansas Geological Survey (KGS) allows pyrolysis examination of formation samples or cuttings providing:
- The account of the operator or company requesting the examination is up-to-date and in good standing with the KGS,
- There is a sufficient number of wells with formation samples or cuttings, in the same quarter section (160 acre tract), to maintain the scientific and research value of the area's well samples,
- The pre-test volume of sample cuttings per envelope is at least 28 grams (one ounce),
- A maximum limit of six grams (0.212 ounce) per sample envelope may be consumed for pyrolysis or destructive testing, including any follow-up vitrinite reflectance analyses,
- All pyrolysis data, analyses, reports and information associated with the samples and testing are provided to the KGS at the same time the operator or company receives the test data,
- After testing is complete and prior to receipt of the test results, the operator or company may request in writing that all test data, analyses, reports and associated information is held confidential by KGS for a maximum period of one year from the request date, and
- KGS reserves the right to allow or prohibit pyrolysis examination of formation samples or cuttings.
Return and Exchange Policy--The Return and Exchange Policy shall be posted, highly visible and inform the customer about the policy.
- Items that are not returnable:
- Labor, delivery, shipping, postage or services,
- Consumable items and special orders,
- Open file reports,
- Items that are damaged, incomplete, stained, or rendered unsalable,
- Marked or otherwise personalized items, or
- Opened computer software, except the item may be exchanged for the identical item.
- Unless designated not returnable, an item may be exchanged or returned for a refund within fourteen days from the original purchase date.
- To facilitate the return or exchange, the original receipt is required.
- Refunds are issued by the University of Kansas and may take up to 90 days to process. The following information is required to submit a refund request:
- Contact information including name, address, city, state and zip code,
- Social Security or tax identification number, and
- Original receipt.
Minimum Processing Fee, Late Fees and Penalties:
- A minimum processing fee shall be applied to non-prepared well samples submitted to the KGS for preservation.
- Payments must be received by the appropriate due date to avoid suspension of services and a 1.5 percent default fee assessed monthly on the unpaid amount.
- The following applies to delinquent accounts:
- "Due date" means more than 90 days after invoice of services or sales.
- Services mean retail sales, sample check-out, research documents, maps, logs, or equipment, and sample preservation.
- Only prepared sample sets will be accepted for preservation.
- A delinquent account having an unpaid amount greater than $25 and past the due date may be transferred to the University of Kansas for collection no sooner than six months and no later than 12 months after the due date.
Fee Schedule Exceptions--Except for postage, freight, or lost or damaged samples service fees are waived for:
- graduate and under-graduate students,
- enrolled in an accredited college or university,
- performing required course assignments or post-graduate research,
- provides a valid student identification, and
- provides contact information for either the course instructor or post-graduate research advisor,
- research that is either academically published or leading to academic publication, and
- at the discretion of the Manager of Wichita Operations KGS when appropriate.
Hours of Operation
Open 8:00 A. M. through 5:00 P. M. Monday through Friday
Closed--Noon to 1 P.M. and State holidays
4150 W. Monroe Street
Wichita, Kansas 67209-2640
Fax (316) 943-1261
Mike Dealy, Manager Wichita Operations
Kansas Geological Survey, Cuttings Database
Comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Program Updated June 2014
Data added periodically.
URL = http://www.kgs.ku.edu/Magellan/Cuttings/index.html