Rex C. Buchanan
Interim Director, Kansas Geological Survey
- Kansas Geological Survey
- 1930 Constant Avenue
- Lawrence, KS 66047-3724
- Phone: (785) 864-2106 (office)
- Phone: (785) 691-8667 (cell)
- Fax: (785) 864-5317
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- M.S. (Agricultural Journalism) University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1982
- M.A. (History of Science) University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1977
- B.A. (Biology/History) Kansas Wesleyan University, 1975
- Interim Director, Kansas Geological Survey, 2010-present.
- Deputy Director, Kansas Geological Survey, 2007-2010. Previously Associate Director for Public Outreach (1996-2007), Assistant Director for Publications and Public Affairs (1983-1996), and Director of Information (1978-1983).
- Lecturer (Courtesy Appointment), William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications, University of Kansas, 1978-present.
- Research Assistant, University-Industry Research Program, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1976-78.
- Reporter, Salina (Kansas) Journal, 1971-75.
Expertise and Interests:
- Science writing and scientific publication
- Kansas geology
- Natural resources, the environment, and public policy
Selected Professional Activities:
- Editor, Association of American State Geologists, 2013-2014
- John K. Strickler Award for Environmental Education, Kansas Association for Conservation and Environmental Education, 2009
- Fellow, Geological Society of America, 2008
- Chair, Geology and Public Policy Committee, Geological Society of America, 2010; Member, Geology and Public Policy Committee, Geological Society of America, 2007-2010
- Chair, Communications Advisory Committee, American Geological Institute, 1992-93
- President, Association Earth Science Editors, 1986
- President, Kansas Academy of Science, 2000
- President, Kansas Association for Conservation and Environmental Education, 1984-1986 and 1994-96
- Buchanan, Rex C., and James R. McCauley, Roadside Kansas: A Traveler's Guide to Its Geology and Landmarks (Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas, 2010, 2nd edition), 365 p.
- Buchanan, Rex C. (ed.), Kansas Geology: An Introduction to Landscapes, Rocks, Minerals, and Fossils (University Press of Kansas, 2010, 2nd edition), 228 p.
- Buchanan, Rex, and Timothy R. Carr, "Geologic Sequestration of Carbon Dioxide in Kansas," Kansas Geological Survey, Public Information Circular 27, December 2008, 4 p.
- Sophocleous, Marios, and Rex C. Buchanan, "Ground-water Recharge in Kansas," Kansas Geological Survey, Public Information Circular 22, August 2003, 6 p.
- Buchanan, Rex, and Robert Buddemeier, "The High Plains Aquifer," Kansas Geological Survey, Public Information Circular 18, September 2001, 6 p.
- Buchanan, Rex, Robert Sawin, and Wayne Lebsack, "Water of the Most Excellent Kind: Historic Springs in Kansas," Kansas History 2000 (23): 128-141.
- Adkins-Heljeson, Marla, Robert Bates, and Rex Buchanan (eds.), Geowriting, 5th ed., (Alexandria, VA: American Geological Institute, 1995), 138 p.
- Baars, Donald L. and Rex C. Buchanan, The Canyon Revisited: A Rephotography of the Grand Canyon, 1923-1991 (Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press, 1994), 168 p.
- Buchanan, Rex C., and Robert Buddemeier (compilers), Kansas Groundwater, Kansas Geological Survey, Educational Series 10, 1993, 44 p.
- Buchanan, Rex C., 'To Collect, Correlate, and Preserve': A History of the Kansas Geological Survey, Bulletin 227 (Lawrence, KS: Kansas Geological Survey, 1989), 96 p.
- Rossbacher, Lisa A. and Rex C. Buchanan, Geomedia: A Guide for Geoscientists Who Meet the Press (Alexandria, VA: American Geological Institute, 1988, 2nd printing 1989), 45 p.
- Steeples, Don W. and Rex C. Buchanan, Kansas GeoMaps. Kansas Geological Survey Educational Series 4, 1983. Revised edition 1984, 30 p.
Kansas Geological Survey
Updated March 27, 2014
Comments to email@example.com