Page 4–The Geologic Record Vol. 2.3
Fall 1996


A Place to Visit

Echo Cliffs


Wabaunsee County,


Echo Cliffs are sandstone bluffs along Mission Creek in eastern Wabaunsee County. The sandstone, known informally as the Indian Cave sandstone, was deposited in a river channel cut in the landscape during the Late Pennsylvanian Period, about 300 million years ago. Echo Cliffs is a local park, about 2 miles southwest of Dover. Photo by John Charlton.

Kansas Geological Survey

1930 Constant Avenue, Campus West

Lawrence, Kansas


(785) 864-3965

Kansas Geological Survey Advisory Council
  • Tom Collinson, Chair, Pittsburg
  • Robert Crangle, Lincoln
  • Dyan Conway, Prairie Village
  • David J. Heinemann, Topeka
  • Gary Hulett, Hays
  • Jeffrey Mason, Goodland
  • Dennis McKinney, Greensburg
  • Stephen Morris, Hugoton
  • David Nance, Pittsburg
  • Marvin Odgers, Sublette
  • Larry J. Richardson, Wichita
  • John K. Strickler, Manhattan
  • William W. Hambleton, Emeritus Member, Lawrence
  • A. Scott Ritchie, KU Geology Assoc. Rep., Wichita

Director: Lee C. Gerhard
Editors: Liz Brosius, Robert Sawin, Rex Buchanan
Design: Jennifer Sims

The mission of the Kansas Geological Survey, operated by the University of Kansas in connection with its research and service program, is to conduct geological studies and research and to collect, correlate, preserve, and disseminate information leading to a better understanding of the geology of Kansas, with special emphasis on natural resources of economic value, water quality and quantity, and geologic hazards.

The Geology Extension program furthers the mission of the KGS by developing materials, projects, and services that communicate information about the geology of Kansas, the state's earth resources, and the products of the Kansas Geological Survey to the people of the state.

Previous Page

Geo Record Index

Article Start

KGS Home

Online February 10, 2003

Comments to:

Kansas Geological Survey