This web page is in support of "Small Scale Field Test Demonstrating CO2 Sequestration in Arbuckle saline aquifer and by CO2-EOR at Wellington field, Sumner County, Kansas."
Info on the Cutter KGS 1 well moved to its own web page.
[July 11, 2013] New photos, well report from reperforating work.
[Oct. 5, 2012] Released rig at 12:00 am on 10/5/12. Rig down.
Overview for Cutter KGS 1 site visit, Sept. 10-11, 2012. (Acrobat PDF, 14 MB)
Field Trip; Schedule, updated Sept. 7. (Acrobat PDF, 1 MB)
Small scale field test demonstrating CO2 sequestration in Arbuckle saline aquifer and by CO2-EOR at Wellington field, Sumner County, Kansas, presentation given at DOE Carbon Storage R&D Project Review Meeting, Aug. 21-23, 2012. (Acrobat PDF, 4 MB)
Business Implications of A Class VI Permit--The Long View? A Kansas Perspective, presentation given in Golden, CO, April 4-5, at the Colorado School of Mines. (Acrobat PDF, 8 MB)
Q11_2014.pdf, Aug. 8, 2014 (Adobe Acrobat PDF file, 4 MB)
- Class VI application submitted and accepted by EPA and Deliverable in Subtask 1.8 "Arbuckle Injection Permit Application Review go/no go Memo" was submitted. Permit application was submitted to EPA and accepted on June 19th.
- CO2 suppliers have been secured. Praxair and Linde Group have been secured as vendors to supply CO2 under the Berexco subcontract.
- Science further enhanced with receipt of 15 seismometers for IRIS-PASSCAL Seismic array deployment and three active 3-component active seismometers purchased with KGS funds to compliment other monitoring including high-resolution seismic, high-resolution cGPS/InSAR, and downhole U-tube sampling and CASSM.
- Important science questions directed toward to improved prediction and evaluation of dynamic changes in the CO2 plumes are anticipated using recent refinements in existing Petrel-CMG models.
- Increased relevancy of this project to the DOE Portfolio.
- With submittal of the Class VI application, securing CO2 supply, and level of scientific study related to the Mississippian injection, DOE agreed to proceed with plans for Mississippian injection ahead of the Arbuckle.
Q9_2014r.pdf, March 11, 2014 (Adobe Acrobat PDF file, 3 MB)
- Completed Well Drilling and Installation Plan Subtask 1.5. (See Appendix A-1 Drilling and Well Installation Plan
- Completed Subtask 1.6. MVA Plan (See Appendix A-2 Testing and Monitoring Plan) Completed Subtask 1.7. Public Outreach Plan (See Appendix A-3 Wellington Public Outreach)
- Completed Subtask 1.8. Arbuckle Injection Permit Application Review go/no go Memo (See Appendix A-4 Permit Application)
- Completed Subtask 1.10. Site Development, Operations, and Closure Plan (Please see Appendix A-5 Operations and Closure Plan and Appendix A-6 Post-Injection Site Care and Site Closure Plan)
Q8_2013.pdf, Nov. 5, 2013 (Adobe Acrobat PDF file, 2 MB)
- Continued progress of Milestone 2 (Task 3) -- Site characterization of Mississippian Reservoir for CO2 EOR - Wellington Field.
- Ran new Petrel model of Mississippian
- Ran new CMG simulations to refine location of Mississippian CO2 injector
- Geomodel includes new petrophysical facies for the Mississippian (Mina), and stratigraphic interpretation of Lynn with inverted seismic with both phi and k properties distributed through the model by Jason.
- Arbuckle Injection Permit Application--The permit application consists of 14 chapters (sections). Drafts for all section were completed by KGS on October 10 and forwarded to DOE and Berexco for review. The executive summary of the permit application is included below relay the content. The permit document contains an extensive amount of raw, processed, and analyzed technical information along with model simulation results which summarizes the suitability of the Wellington site for conducting not only the small-scale pilot test, but potentially long-term commercial scale carbon capture and sequestration.
Q7_2013.pdf, May 6, 2013 (Adobe Acrobat PDF file, 925 kB)
Q6_2013.pdf, May 6, 2013 (Adobe Acrobat PDF file, 485 kB)
Q5_2013.pdf, Jan. 31, 2013 (Adobe Acrobat PDF file, 241 kB)
Q4_2012r2.pdf, Nov. 12, 2012 (Adobe Acrobat PDF file, 3 MB)
Q3_2012r.pdf, Revised Sept. 5, 2012 (Adobe Acrobat PDF file, 3.4 MB)
Q2_2012.pdf, May 2012 (Adobe Acrobat PDF file, 1.4 MB)
Q1_2012rev.pdf, March 2012 (Adobe Acrobat PDF file, 2.7 MB)