This web page is in support of "Small Scale Field Test Demonstrating CO2 Sequestration in Arbuckle saline aquifer and by CO2-EOR at Wellington field, Sumner County, Kansas."
Info on the Cutter KGS 1 well moved to its own web page.
[July 11, 2013] New photos, well report from reperforating work.
[Oct. 5, 2012] Released rig at 12:00 am on 10/5/12. Rig down.
Overview for Cutter KGS 1 site visit, Sept. 10-11, 2012. (Acrobat PDF, 14 MB)
Field Trip; Schedule, updated Sept. 7. (Acrobat PDF, 1 MB)
Small scale field test demonstrating CO2 sequestration in Arbuckle saline aquifer and by CO2-EOR at Wellington field, Sumner County, Kansas, presentation given at DOE Carbon Storage R&D Project Review Meeting, Aug. 21-23, 2012. (Acrobat PDF, 4 MB)
Business Implications of A Class VI Permit--The Long View? A Kansas Perspective, presentation given in Golden, CO, April 4-5, at the Colorado School of Mines. (Acrobat PDF, 8 MB)
Q10_2014.pdf, May 8, 2014 (Adobe Acrobat PDF file, 536 kB)
- Adjustments to Mississippian and existing Arbuckle Injection models with reduced CO2 volumes were performed to establish that size of plume has changed minimally to ensure that scientific information derived from the investigation will be maximized.
- Designs are nearly complete to deploy a temporary network of 15 seismometer stations donated on behalf of IRIS. These stations will record passive seismic data in close proximity to the Mississippian and Arbuckle injector locations. Five 3-component broadband accelerometers purchased by the KGS will supplement the existing MVA design.
- The completed permit application has 14 chapters (sections) and includes revisions with refined technical information and the most up to date model simulation results. Edits have been incorporated in the document and submitted to Berexco for final review. Once Berexco has signed the document, the Arbuckle Injection Permit and the Mississippian Permit Application will be submitted to EPA and state regulators, respectively (Subtask 1.9).
- Drilling location for Mississippian injector well KGS 2-32 has been reviewed and confirmed by Berexco and KGS personnel. Preliminary sensitivity analyses have been performed as part of the iterative simulations necessary to construct the full scale model.
Q9_2014r.pdf, March 11, 2014 (Adobe Acrobat PDF file, 3 MB)
- Completed Well Drilling and Installation Plan Subtask 1.5. (See Appendix A-1 Drilling and Well Installation Plan
- Completed Subtask 1.6. MVA Plan (See Appendix A-2 Testing and Monitoring Plan) Completed Subtask 1.7. Public Outreach Plan (See Appendix A-3 Wellington Public Outreach)
- Completed Subtask 1.8. Arbuckle Injection Permit Application Review go/no go Memo (See Appendix A-4 Permit Application)
- Completed Subtask 1.10. Site Development, Operations, and Closure Plan (Please see Appendix A-5 Operations and Closure Plan and Appendix A-6 Post-Injection Site Care and Site Closure Plan)
Q8_2013.pdf, Nov. 5, 2013 (Adobe Acrobat PDF file, 2 MB)
- Continued progress of Milestone 2 (Task 3) -- Site characterization of Mississippian Reservoir for CO2 EOR - Wellington Field.
- Ran new Petrel model of Mississippian
- Ran new CMG simulations to refine location of Mississippian CO2 injector
- Geomodel includes new petrophysical facies for the Mississippian (Mina), and stratigraphic interpretation of Lynn with inverted seismic with both phi and k properties distributed through the model by Jason.
- Arbuckle Injection Permit Application--The permit application consists of 14 chapters (sections). Drafts for all section were completed by KGS on October 10 and forwarded to DOE and Berexco for review. The executive summary of the permit application is included below relay the content. The permit document contains an extensive amount of raw, processed, and analyzed technical information along with model simulation results which summarizes the suitability of the Wellington site for conducting not only the small-scale pilot test, but potentially long-term commercial scale carbon capture and sequestration.
Q7_2013.pdf, May 6, 2013 (Adobe Acrobat PDF file, 925 kB)
Q6_2013.pdf, May 6, 2013 (Adobe Acrobat PDF file, 485 kB)
Q5_2013.pdf, Jan. 31, 2013 (Adobe Acrobat PDF file, 241 kB)
Q4_2012r2.pdf, Nov. 12, 2012 (Adobe Acrobat PDF file, 3 MB)
Q3_2012r.pdf, Revised Sept. 5, 2012 (Adobe Acrobat PDF file, 3.4 MB)
Q2_2012.pdf, May 2012 (Adobe Acrobat PDF file, 1.4 MB)
Q1_2012rev.pdf, March 2012 (Adobe Acrobat PDF file, 2.7 MB)