- B.S., 1981, Geology, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- M.S., 1985, Geology, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Ph.D., 1989, Geology, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Sedimentology, sequence stratigraphy, and diagenesis of carbonate and siliciclastic strata. Integration of outcrop and subsurface studies, high-resolution and conventional seismic methods, ground- penetrating radar, paleomagnetic methods, biostratigraphy, petrography, geochemical techniques, and computer modeling to better discern variables such as global, regional and local sea-level fluctuations, paleoceanographic conditions, climate, paleotopography, and autogenic processes that control carbonate depositional systems.
- New Approaches for Evaluating and Quantifying Controls on Three-dimensional Sequence-Stratigraphic Architecture in Carbonate Systems.
- 3-D Reservoir Analog Models from Outcrops for Better Quantitative Prediction of Porosity and Fluid Flow in Carbonate Systems.
- High-Resolution Characterization of Carbonate Cycles and Sequences Combining Outcrop, Subsurface, and High-Resolution Geophysical Techniques.
- Depositional, Stratigraphic, Structural, and Diagenetic Controls on Reservoir Characteristics of Cambro-Ordovician, Mississippian, Pennsylvanian, and Permian Strata in Kansas.
Recent External Funding
- ExxonMobil Oil Company, 2008-2011; Co-Principal Investigator, Diagenetic Controls on Porosity and Permeability in Miocene Carbonates, La Molata, Spain.
- ExxonMobil Oil Company, 2008, Principal Investigator, Fluid Flow in Carbonate Systems.
- Hess Oil Company, StatoilHydro Oil Company, Repsol Oil Company, 2008-2010, Co-Principal Investigator, Stratigraphic and Hydrocarbon Reservoir-analog Character for Uppermost Miocene Carbonate Systems, Ricardillo and La Molata, SE Spain.
- National Science Foundation, 2007; Co-Principal Investigator, Community Sedimentary Model Science Plan for Carbonate Systems: A Workshop.
- Saudi Aramco Oil Company, ExxonMobil Oil Company; 2006, Principal Investigator, Phase 1--Development of 3-D Models for Basin-Floor Carbonate Reservoir Analogs, Miocene, SE Spain.
- Kansas Department of Transportation, 2005; Principal Investigator, Construction Materials Inventory/GIS Development Project for Pottawatomie County.
- U.S. Department of Energy, 2004; Co-Principal Investigator, Improving Geologic and Engineering Models of Midcontinent Fracture and Karst-Modified Reservoirs Using New 3-D Seismic Attributes.
- U.S. Department of Energy, 2003; Co-Principal Investigator, Improved Approaches to Design of Polymer Gel Treatments in Mature Oil Fields: Field Demonstration in Dickman Field, Ness County, Kansas.
- Kansas Department Of Transportation, 2002, Co-Principal Investigator, Implementation of "First Cut" Evaluation of Aggregate Durability Using Clay Content as Indicated by Spectral Gamma Ray Logging of Limestone Aggregate.
- National Science Foundation, 1999, Principal Investigator, Ground-Penetrating Radar: A Tool for the Next Generation of Outcrop Studies?
- National Science Foundation, 1996, Principal Investigator, A New Approach for Evaluating Controls on Depositional Sequence Architecture.
- Conoco Oil Company-Dupont Research Grant, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, Principal Investigator, Demonstrating the Utility of New Techniques and Approaches for Evaluating Controls on Carbonate Depositional Sequences.
- University of Kansas Energy Research Center, 1996, 1997, Principal Investigator, Depositional and Paragenetic History of Arbuckle Strata in Kansas within a Sequence-Stratigraphic Framework: Isolating Controls on Reservoir Architecture.
- Kansas Department Of Transportation, 1996, Co-Principal Investigator, Integrating Sequence Stratigraphy and Rock Properties to Predict the Distribution of Class 1 Aggregate.
Selected Publications list also available.
Kansas Geological Survey
Updated Jan. 20, 2012
Comments to firstname.lastname@example.org