PfEFFER Version 2.0
(Petrofacies Evaluation of Formations for Engineering Reservoirs)
Previous Page--PFEFFER Pro
PfEFFER 2.0 FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Excel says "A document with the name 'pfeffer.xla' is already open..."
when I click on a toolbar button.
- Sometimes, during the installation process, Excel confuses itself into
thinking that the PfEFFER toolbar is attached to a different copy of the
PfEFFER add-in (pfeffer.xla) than the one that has actually been loaded.
When a button is clicked Excel tries to load this fictitious copy of
the add-in and shows an error message about not being able to open two
documents under the same name at the same time. Here is what you should
do about it:
- Unload the PfEFFER add-in by selecting Add-Ins... from the Tools menu,
un-checking the PfEFFER checkbox, and clicking OK.
- Delete the PfEFFER and Pickett Plot Annotation toolbars. First,
select Customize... from the Toolbars pull-right menu under the View menu.
On the Toolbars tab of the Customize dialog box, highlight the entry
for the PfEFFER toolbar and the click the Delete button. Do the same
for the Pickett Plot Annotation toolbar and then click Close.
- Re-load the PfEFFER add-in by returning to the Add-Ins... dialog box
and checking the appropriate entry. When the add-in is loaded this
time, the toolbar should now point to the real copy of pfeffer.xla
(meaning, things should work now).
- When I start up Excel with PfEFFER pre-loaded, all I get is the
- This happens when Excel is actually trying to show you the message box
containing the PfEFFER copyright information. For some reason the
message box is occasionally invisible. Nevertheless, Excel is still
waiting for you to click on the OK button or hit the Return (Enter) key.
So . . . just hit the Return (Enter) key and you should be on your way.
- The text on the right-hand side of the Pickett plot does not show up.
- Occasionally, Excel chooses to ignore the specifications for the plot
dimensions given in the PfEFFER code and the right-hand margin does not
end up being wide enough to accommodate the text. There is nothing to
do about this except delete the plot and start over again.
- Excel complains about unresolved links when I open my old (PfEFFER v.
- Old (Version 1.1) PfEFFER workbooks contain links to the old OpenLAS
add-in (openlas.xla). These workbooks should be converted to Version
2.0 workbooks using the Convert PfEFFER V. 1.1 workbook button on the
PfEFFER toolbar (which shows "1.1 => 2" more or less). Use the resulting
dialog box to select the Version 1.1 PfEFFER workbook to be converted.
It will be converted to a new, untitled Version 2.0 PfEFFER workbook.
The original file will still be present on disk. It is your choice
whether to overwrite the original file with the new one.
Back to PfEFFER home page
Kansas Geological Survey, PfEFFER software
Comments to email@example.com
Updated Sept. 15, 1998
URL = http://www.kgs.ku.edu/PRS/software/pfeffer5.html