Locations of measured and estimated sections used in construction Figures 4 and 5, by number from north to south.
1. Measured in long roadcut west of Elk City Dam, south of ctr N half 7-32-15 (same as standard section, Fig. 3B).
2. Measured in exposures along abandoned road from Captain Creek in NE-SW-NE 14-32-14 northwest into Stoner near ctr W line NW-NE 14-32-14.
3. Estimated as much as 40 to 50 feet of Stoner moundrock from elevation differences mapped within Stoner Member in sections 14, 15 and adjacent parts of 10 and 11, T. 32 S., R. 14 E.
4. South Bend measured in N wall of quarry W of U.S. Rte. 160 S of Elk River bridge in NE-NE-SW 17-32-14; South Bend rests directly on Stoner in quarry about 1.2 mile to E, near ctr W half, SE 16-32-14.
5. Estimated from Iola exposed at 810 ft. in spillway at new road crossing in NE-SW-SW 15-32-15 northwestward to Plattsburg at 870 ft. near ctr W line NW-SW 15, plus 5 ft. regional dip; thence westward to base of Stanton at 950 ft. near top of grade where new road ascends SE part of Table Mound in NW-NE-SE 16-32-15, plus 5 ft. regional dip.
6. Captain Creek and top of Vilas measured when formerly exposed in 1965 at site of dismantled old U.S. Rte. 160 bridge over Elk River in NW-SE-SW 14-32-14; Eudora interval measured southward along Card Creek to ravine in N half NW 23-32-14, up ravine to E through Stoner to new road ascending north prong of Timber Hill; upper Stoner, Rock Lake and sandstone below base of South Bend measured southward in road ditch to point near ctr NW 23-32-14 when exposed in 1966.
7. Upper Vilas and Captain Creek measured in prong of escarpment in NE-NW 24-32-14.
8. Eudora interval estimated from top of Captain Creek at 830 ft. E of ctr W line 24-32-14 westward to Stoner pinchout at 845 ft., W of old road NW of pond, N of ctr 23-32-14 (at junction of Bolton and Table Mound 7.5 minute Quadrangles), plus 15 ft. regional dip.
9. Shale above Stoner pinchout (located in 8, above) estimated southward to richly fossiliferous horizon exposed at 860 ft. just west of site of old oil well; thence measured westward up to sandstone (below S. Bend) capping prong of hill about 875-880 ft. near ctr 23-32-14.
10. Drill hole D (drilled by Leo Reavis for this project in 1966) on S line just E of old house site, in SE-SE-SW 21-32-14; only lower part shown on Fig. 4; complete section on Fig. 6.
11. Estimated from Iola formerly exposed about 780 ft. in creek bank along old U.S. Rte. 160, N line NW-NE 29-32-15 (from section measured by N. D. Newell in 1935 on file at Kansas Geological Survey) to Captain Creek about 840-845 ft., especially brought up around pond in SE-SW 24-32-14, plus 70 ft. regional dip.
12. Complete South Bend (Fig. 9) and portion of underlying shale sequence with Timber Hill siltstone (type section) measured in roadcut of new road along E side Timber Hill near ctr W line NW 25-32-14.
13. Complete South Bend and portion of underlying shale sequence with Timber Hill siltstone measured in roadcut of new road along E side Timber Hill near NW cor 36-32-14.
14A. Upper part measured in shale bank in roadcut on N side U..S. Rte. 160 (Fig. 13), SE corner Timber Hill, N of ctr W line NW 36-32-14; lower Eudora interval including black shale taken from nearby borehole reported by Wilson (1957a, p. 44-45); Captain Creek and underlying shale and siltstone exposed in roadcut along N side U.S. Rte. 160 to E along S line NW-NE 36-32-14. Complete section on both Fig. 1 and Fig. 5.
14B. Measured from top of Eudora Shale through Timber Hill siltstone bed, Rutland bed and Rock Lake Shale Member in road ditch along E line SE-NE-SE 35-32-14 to South Bend conglomerate along road near ctr W line SW 36-32-14.
15. Walker Mound in NE 5-33-15; interval estimated from road ditch exposures of Captain Creek, top about 880 ft., and basal Eudora black shale on NE side of Mound up to base of 5-foot capping siltstone (probably Timber Hill bed) at 950 ft.; this closely matches section measured by N. D. Newell in 1935 on file at Kansas Geological Survey. Only lower part shown on Fig. 4; complete section on Fig. 5.
16. Captain Creek and underlying shale and siltstone exposed in road ditches near ctr NE 1-33-14; Eudora interval estimated from top of Captain Creek about 830 ft. along creek just S of road in SE-NW 1-33-14 to Rutland bed type section (5 ft. thick), base at 885 ft., in NE cor 2-33-14, plus 10 ft. regional dip; Rock Lake interval estimated northward to exposure of South Bend conglomerate and limestone at 905-910 ft. near ctr W line SW 36-32-14; also shale interval estimated from Rutland bed westward to sandstone capping small hill under house at 900 ft.
17. Estimated from basal Captain Creek oolite about 880 ft. with underlying Lane-Vilas siltstone exposed along road on S line SE-SE 5-33-15 westward to Rutland bed capping small hill at 885 to 890 ft. in NE-NE 12-33-14, plus 60 ft. regional dip, giving Eudora interval of 60 ft., allowing 5 ft. for upper Captain Creek; thence 1 mile westward to South Bend conglomerate capping small hill at 875 ft. in NE-NE 11-33-14, plus 30 ft. regional dip, giving Rock Lake interval of 15 ft.
18. Estimated from Iola exposed in creek bank at 790 ft. E of house S of ctr S half 10-33-15 westward to Captain Creek oolite exposed along road at 875 ft. just N of house in NW-NW 16-33-15, plus 40 ft. regional dip; from Captain Creek in creek bed about 845 ft. in SE-SW 7-33-15 westward to probable blocks of Rutland bed on top of rise, estimated originally about 875 ft., plus 15 ft. regional dip; thence westward to base of Onion Creek sandstone at 870 ft. by Oak Ridge School near ctr S line 11-33-14, plus 40 ft. regional dip; thence westward to South Bend at 895 ft. in SW-SE-SW 11-33-14, plus 5 ft. regional dip.
19. Measured from siltstone in top of Lane-Vilas westward through Captain Creek oolite to sponge calcilutite along road near ctr SW 17-33-15.
20. Estimated from blocks of Captain Creek sponge calcilutite brought up from about 820 ft. along F line near NE cor 23-33-14 northward to base of Onion Creek sandstone at 885 ft. along E line NE-SE 14-33-14; thence from same horizon at 880 ft. along N line NE-SE 14-33-14 westward to 905 ft. at top of hill in sandstone in SE-SENW 14-33-14, plus 15 ft. regional dip.
21. Estimated westward up valley of Onion Creek from Captain Creek at 815 ft. in creek bed ctr W line NW 24-33-14 to Bolton bed at 825 ft. in creek bed on W line NW-NW 23, plus 30 ft. regional dip; thence to sandstone ridges at 875 ft. along creek in NE 21-33-14, plus 40 ft. regional dip.
22. Estimated from Captain Creek at 825 ft. in creek bed in SE-NW-SW 24-33-14 northward to lens of Bolton bed at 865 ft. N of pond in SE-SW-NW 24; thence westward into Onion Creek sandstone capping hill at 905 ft. near ctr W line 24, plus 5 ft. regional dip.
23. Estimated from limestone lens in Lane-Vilas at 815 ft. in road ditch at ctr S line SW 19-33-15 westward to Captain Creek at 825 ft. in creek bed SE-NW-SW 24-33-14, plus 30 ft. regional dip.
24. Estimated from Captain Creek at 825 ft. in creek bed SE-NW-SW 24-33-14 southeastward to Bolton bed at 870 ft. along and in road in SE-SE-SW 24, minus 5 ft. regional dip; thence westward to highest sandstone at 925 ft. at top of hill in NW-NW 26-33-14, plus 40 ft. regional dip.
25. Section measured by N. D. Newell in 1935 near ctr S line 24-33-14 on file with Kansas Geological Survey.
26. Estimated from 4th oolitic zone at 860 ft. in road ditch on W line SW-SW 26-33-14 westward to South Bend at 895 ft. just south of road near ctr S half 27-33-14, plus 15 ft. regional dip.
27. Estimated from Iola blocks originally about 790 ft., around new pond W of house near ctr N line NW 32-33-15 westward to oolitic, stromatolitic lower Captain Creek exposed at 820 ft. in road ditch on N side of U.S. Rte. 75 in SE-SE-SW 25-33-14, plus 50 ft. regional dip; thence southwestward along highway to upper Captain Creek sponge calcilutite at 825 ft. in NW-NE-NW 36-33-19, plus 5 ft. regional dip; thence southwestward to Bolton bed (type section) at 845 ft. in railroad cut near ctr S half NW-NW 36-33-14, plus 5 ft. regional dip.
28. Hill northeast of Wayside; measured up northeast side of hill near ctr NE 35-33-14, from Bolton bed about 835 ft. south of creek to 4th oolitic zone capping hill at 880 ft.
29. Estimated from Iola blocks originally about 790 ft. around new pond W of house near ctr N line NW 32-33-15 westward and southward to Captain Creek sponge calcilutite blocks perhaps originally about 840 ft. along road NW-SW-NW 31-33-15, plus 40 ft. regional dip; thence southward to Bolton bed at 865 ft. in road ditch near SW cor NW 31-33-15.
30. Estimated from Iola at 800 ft. in road near ctr S line SW 33-33-15 westward to Bolton bed at 855 ft. capping small rise north of paved road near SW cor 31-33-15, plus 65 ft. regional dip; thence westward to South Bend at 885 ft. along paved road in Wayside near ctr S line SW 34-33-14, plus 85 ft. regional dip.
31. Hill west of Jefferson; estimated from Iola at 800 ft. in road along S line SE-SW-SE 5-34-15 westward to limestone lenses in Lane-Vilas about 845 ft. at first northward bend in road, plus 20 ft. regional dip; thence westward up hill to Tyro oolite capping hill from about 895 to 905 ft.
32. Measured southward up road ditch along W line NW-SW 6-34-15, from Tyro oolite just south of creek, 18 ft. up to Bolton bed in prominent exposure of two limestone layers from about 855 to 860 ft.; Black Eudora shale overlies Tyro oolite in nearby road along S line SE-NE-SW 6-34-15.
33. Estimated from top of Bolton bed about 860 ft. on W line NW-SW 6-34-15 southward to fossiliferous oolitic sandstone of probable 3rd zone at 870 ft. in SE cor 1-34-14; thence westward to oolitic skeletal calcarenitic sandstone blocks of 4th zone around pond at 880 ft. in NW cor 12-34-14, plus 30 ft. regional dip; thence westward to South Bend blocks from about 875 ft. N of road in SW-SE-SE 4-34-14, plus 65 ft. regional dip.
34. Estimated from 3rd zone at 870 ft. in SE cor 1-34-14 southward to top of thick sandstones capping hill at 915 ft. in SE-NE 12-34-14. 35. Estimated from Iola at 800 ft. along road, S line SW-SE 8-34-15 westward to Tyro oolite about 880 ft. in old quarry on side of hill S of house, SW-SE 7-34-15, plus 30 ft. regional dip.
36. Estimated from Tyro oolite at 850 ft. in road ditch along E line near NE cor 13-34-14 westward to slightly fossiliferous oolitic quartz sandstone of 3rd zone at 855 ft. in road ditch along N line near NE cor 14-34-14, plus 30 ft. regional dip; thence westward to South Bend at 850 ft. in road ditch near ctr W line SE-SE 8-34-14, plus 95 ft. regional dip.
37. Estimated from Tyro oolite at 850 ft. in road ditch along E line near NE cor 13-34-14 west-southwestward to sandstone from about 850 to 895 ft. in hill in W half 22-34-14 and adjacent SW quarter 15-34-14, plus 80 ft. regional dip.
38. Estimated from Tyro oolite at 850 ft. in road ditch along E line near NE cor 13-34-14 west-southwestward to oolite of 4th zone at 795 ft. in creek bed N of road near ctr S line SE-SW 17-34-14, plus 140 ft. regional dip; thence, a) northwestward to South Bend at 800 ft. in SE-NW-SE 18-34-14 (north of Havana Lake), plus 20 ft. regional dip; b) westward to South Bend at 830 ft. in road ditch on W line just S of NW cor 20-34-14, plus 10 ft. regional dip, and c) southward to top of hill at 870 ft. in SW-NE-NW 20-34-14 capped by sandstone in Rock Lake Member (see also Fig. 6a).
39. Estimated from Tyro oolite at 900 ft. on side of hill NW of Fawn Creek Cemetery, just SE of ctr SE 19-34-15 westward to fossiliferous shale-pebble-bearing oolitic quartz sandstone of 3rd zone at 830 ft. in road ditch at ctr W line 23-34-14, plus 85 ft. regional dip; (compared to 15 ft. computed above, at least 40, perhaps 55 feet of sandstone and shale are exposed below the 3rd zone in the creek bed to the northwest in SE-NE 22-34-14, which indicates that the Tyro either lenses out westward, or more likely dips westward at greater than regional dip at it does in section 6-34-15 to north along strike; no compensation is made on Fig. 4 for the latter possibility).
40. Estimated from Tyro oolite at 900 ft. on side of hill NW of Fawn Creek Cemetery, just SE of ctr SE 19-34-15, westward: a) to South Bend at 760 ft. along creek in SW coy 24-34-13, plus 235 ft. regional dip; and b) to fossiliferous quartz sandstone probably of 4th zone at 935 ft. in road ditch on W line near NW cor 30-34-15, plus 25 ft. regional dip; thence westward to top of sandstone capping ridge at 940 ft. along W line NW-NW 25-34-14, plus 30 ft. regional dip.
41. Estimated from Iola at 800 ft. in road ditch near ctr S line SW-SE 29-34-15, westward to base of Tyro oolite about 900 ft. in nose of Stony Point at junction of sections 29, 30, 31, 32, plus 20 f t. regional dip.
42. Tyro measured in quarry in NW-SW-SE 30-34-15 (type section) where it is overlain by 2 ft. of dark gray shale followed by 25 ft.+ of sandstone with intercalated shale; other sections estimated from top of Tyro at 900 ft. here, westward: a) to Rock Lake sandstone capping hill at 850 ft. in NE-SE 29-34-14, plus 140 ft. regional dip; b) to South Bend at 785 ft. (base) in NW cor 31-34-14, plus 200 ft. regional dip; c) to Rock Lake sandstone capping hill at 890 ft. S of ctr 33-34-14, plus 120 ft. regional dip; d) to slightly fossiliferous oolitic sandstone of 3rd zone at 840 ft. in gully just below road near ctr E line NE-NE 34-34-14, plus 80 ft. regional dip; (comment on estimated section 39 applies here also).
43. Estimated from Tyro oolite at 795 ft. in SW bank of Hafer Run near ctr NE-NE 4-35-14: a) northward to Rock Lake sandstone capping hill at 890 ft. S of ctr 33-34-14, plus 10 ft. regional dip; b) west-southwestward to oolitic, skeletal quartz sandstone of 4th zone at 805 ft. in roadcut on U.S. Rte. 166 near ctr N line NE-NE 7-35-14, plus 60 ft. regional dip, thence northwestward to South Bend at 810 ft. in S nose of hill in NE-SW-SE 6-35-14, plus 5 ft. regional dip; c) south-southwestward to skeletal oolitic quartz sandstone with mud pebbles, possibly the 3rd zone, at about 805 ft. in gully in SW-SE-NE 4-35-14, plus 5 ft. regional dip; thence measured southward up gully to stromatolite horizons about 820 ft.
44. Estimated from top of Iola along U.S. Rte. 166 at 850 ft. just W of ctr E line NE 6-35-15 southward to Tyro oolite at 950 ft. in road ditch along N line, just W of E line SE-NE 7-35-15. [This Iola exposure is higher than one at 830 ft. about 1.2 mi eastward on U.S. Rte. 166 and another at 800 ft. about 1.4 mi to the NNE (located in estimated section 41), apparently because it lies on the north nose of a broad anticlinal structure noted by Oakes, 1940a, p. 75, 100, as the Pleasant View dome centered to the south in western T. 29 N., R. 14 E., Washington County, Oklahoma; this local departure from regional westward dip also explains why the Tyro oolite lies at or near 950 ft. around most of the outlier hills in eastern section 7, and sections 8, 16, 17, 18, T. 35 S., R. 15 E. in Kansas.]
45. Thickness of interval of Iola to "Birch Creek" (which Tyro oolite near Iola exposures) shown to be about 90 to 95 ft. at the Kansas-Oklahoma border by Oakes (1940a, p. 16). Thickness of Wann Formation reported to be 95 ft. in sec. 13, T. 29 S., R. 13 E., Oklahoma (ibid., p. 76) and thickness of overlying Torpedo Sandstone reported to be 2 ft. in NW corner of same section (ibid., p. 83) where main trace of Tyro outcrop crosses state border. This reported range of 90 to 97 ft. for the Iola to Tyro interval is compatible with that estimated east of the outlier hills in 16-35-15 (Kansas) where the Iola is not exposed but sandstone near top of the Chanute (ctr S line NW-NW 15-35-15) at 890 ft. lies about 100 ft. below Tyro oolite at 960 ft. (NW-SW-NW 16-35-15), adding in 30 ft. for regional dip.
46. Estimated from Tyro oolite at 890 ft. in bank on S side of dirt lane just W of junction with main road near ctr E line NW-NE 13-35-14, northward to fossiliferous oolitic quartz sandstone, probably of 4th zone, exposed at about 980 ft. on W side of road in NW-NE-SE 12-35-14; farther northward along W line NW 7 and SW 6-35-15, sandstone is exposed between 940 ft. and 975 ft.
47. Estimated from Tyro oolite overlying sandstone at 835 ft. in ditch along state line road just west of road junction on S line near SE cor 15-35-14; a) northward to sandstone capping hill at 935 ft. along W line NW-SW 11-35-141; b) westward to fossiliferous oolitic quartz sandstone of 4th zone at 875 ft. in SE-SW-NE 16-35-14, plus 40 ft. regional dip; thence Southwestward to top of sandstone capping hill at 980 ft. in E half SW 16-35-14, plus 5 ft. regional dip; c) westward along state border to South Bend at 750 ft. along hill in SW cor 14-35-13, plus 180 ft. regional dip.
Kansas Geological Survey, Geology
Placed on web Jan. 20, 2009; originally published May 1975.
Comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
The URL for this page is http://www.kgs.ku.edu/Publications/Bulletins/210/08_appe.html