Position Vacancy Announcement, Kansas Geological Survey
Position: Accounting Specialist (00063415)
Working Title: Payroll Accounting Specialist
Salary Range: $30,000-$33,750 annually, with benefits [$40,000-$45,000, full-time equivalent]
FTE: 75 (30 hours per week)
Initial Review Date: March 11, 2013
Estimated Start Date: April 15, 2013
The Kansas Geological Survey (KGS) is a research and service division of the University of Kansas. The KGS studies the geology of Kansas, develops new techniques for exploring and analyzing geologic data, and produces maps and reports. The KGS is organized into four research sections and several service sections. The KGS employs more than 90 scientific researchers, technical support staff, and 35 students engaged in a variety of disciplines, including geology, geophysics, energy resources, geohydrology, stratigraphy, geoarchaeology, GIS and computer science, and public outreach.
The KGS is a line-item in the University's budget and researchers are awarded externally sponsored research funding so accurate accounting is critical. This position is responsible for ensuring accurate payroll account balances, expenditures, and projected forecast records in the internal HR/Payroll system. This requires KGS payroll database maintenance, account reconciliation, payroll appointment and funding transactions, and biweekly Time and Absence oversight. This position processes a high volume of state and externally sponsored project funding change requests and works closely with the KGS Human Resources Manager.
This position works with confidential information, strict confidentiality is required. A signed confidentiality agreement will be required.
- 35% Database Data Entry/Maintenance:
- Maintain and update on day-to-day basis the in-house KGS HR/Payroll System; ensure integrity of payroll and employer fringe projections for all employees and all state/grant account. Provide up-to-date FY salary and employer fringe projections and other personnel reports/listings on a weekly, monthly, or quarterly basis as scheduled or by special request. Establish new database record upon hire of employees new to KGS, code in accordance with KGS guidelines to generate appropriate employer salary and fringe projections. Enter funding changes in database as they are provided, in writing, by Grant Specialist, Budget Director, or supervisor before requesting change to KU. Use database reports and queries to verify and insure data integrity and track outstanding adjustments. Review reports regularly to assure integrity of output. Maintain KGS room/phone extension directory, cost center reports, and other listings. Work with supervisor and KGS database programmer to maintain and revise database system updates as needed.
- 20% Appointment and Funding Verifcation:
- Pre-KU final calculation: Devise and coordinate appropriate measures to ensure appointment details and funding distributions will be processed accurately for every KGS employee each pay period to avoid adjustments. Verify information using KGS database forecast projections with KU DEMIS Payroll reports every pay period for each KGS employee--Active Position Funding Summary verification program in KGS database. Diagnose reason for discrepancies and discuss with supervisor. Make internal correction or initiate and actively pursue adjustment to rectify discrepancy as appropriate.
- Post-KU final calculation: Verify employee paychecks, employer salary, fringe, and funding distribution calculated accurately with use of KGS database reports and KU's DEMIS Payroll reports--Gross/Fringe Match program in KGS database. Diagnose reason for discrepancies and discuss with supervisor. Make internal correction or initiate and actively pursue adjustment to rectify discrepancy as appropriate. Provide biweekly payroll reports and miscellaneous reports from KGS database through queries.
- 20% Account Reconciliation:
- Perform a monthly reconciliation, or by special request, of the internal KGS payroll against KU's DEMIS Payroll and Financials reports for each KGS state and grant payroll account to verify and balance expenditures. Research discrepancies and report/discuss them with supervisor. Ensure actual and projected biweekly salary and fringe amounts are correct by account and position for allocations, budget transfers, expenditures, and projections. Provide supervisor monthly reports of payroll accounts.
- 15% Appointment and Funding Payroll Transactions:
- Process job actions affecting KGS employees using the KU web Payroll Action Form (PAF), information provided by supervisor. Process the funding changes for KGS employees using the KU web PAF, information provided in writing by Grant Specialist, Budget Director, or supervisor. Update internal KGS database with transaction information from PAFs or employment documents as changes occur. Serve as resource person for KGS staff and students on payroll matters related to leave balances, paychecks, pay periods, etc. Refer all Human Resource matters to supervisor. Set own goals and prioritize own tasks in order to meet deadlines established by supervisor, KGS administration, RGS, and KU Payroll Office to avoid need for payroll adjustments or supplemental paychecks. Advise supervisor of any unusual circumstances or potential problems.
- 5% HR/Pay Time and Absence Reporting:
- Serve as resource for KU HR/Pay Time and Absence inquiries. Run HR/Pay reports to ensure employee hours are submitted timely and accurately and approved timely by supervisors, follow up with staff as necessary. Publicize HR/Pay biweekly deadline reminder before end of each pay period. Use the HR/Pay system to compute salary and fringe totals for temporary or irregular hourly employees, update KGS database projections to reflect actual hourly amounts expended. Update KGS internal leave records; notify employees at or approaching maximum allowed accruals. Update KGS reports of calendar year hours worked by temporary hourly employees; notify supervisor when employee is approaching the maximum allowed hours.
- 5% Other Duties as Assigned:
- Process KGS Graduate Research Assistant sponsorship requests each semester in consultation with supervisor. Coordinate annual KU Directory verification for KGS. Miscellaneous projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, business, or related field OR minimum of 2 years of recent account reporting, budgeting and/or auditing experience.
- At least 1 year experience with processing payroll.
- At least 1 year experience with financial software programs.
- At least 2 years experience using Microsoft Excel.
- Knowledge of accounting and budget practices and procedures as evidenced by application material.
- Work history that indicates the ability to process accounting transactions in a timely manner.
- Work history that indicates the ability to work independently.
- Excellent written communication skills as evidenced by application materials.
- Experience with sizable payroll at KU.
- Experience with processing payroll at KU.
- At least 1 year experience with KU DEMIS Payroll, UBUD, and/or Financials programs.
- Experience with databases.
- Experience working with confidential information.
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Excel.
- Experience working with firm deadlines and prioritizing projects.
- Highly reliable proofreading skills.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, including grammar and spelling, both verbal and written.
Complete the online application. Upload a written letter of application specifically addressing each required and preferred qualification; upload a vitae/resume, and provide the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of three professional references.
Annette Delaney, Kansas Geological Survey
Phone: (785) 864-2152
Fax: (785) 864-5317
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University's programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY. http://policy.ku.edu/IOA/nondiscrimination
Updated Feb. 27, 2013
Comments to email@example.com
The URL for this page is http://www.kgs.ku.edu/General/jobs/J00063415.html