Student Employment, Kansas Geological Survey
This position open only to students enrolled at the University of Kansas.
Working Job Title: Assistant GIS/Cartography Specialist (2950621-2)
Regular Hourly or Work Study
Hourly Rate: $9.90-10.50, depending on qualifications and experience
Length of Appointment: Continuation is contingent upon funding, starting on or about September 21, 2015.
KGS Section: GIS Support/Cartographic Services (JD)
Hours Per Week: 20 hours per week during academic year and breaks;
30-40 hours per week during summer (possibly)
Business Hours: 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Develop cartographic and geological databases from preliminary electronic data and/or paper maps.
- Close visual inspection of digital maps and data.
- Ability to maintain concentration on a task.
- Analyze graphic displays and create and edit spatial databases.
- Populate attribute fields in databases and write geospatial metadata.
- Use graphics skills to design and edit map layouts and other documents.
- Successful completion of an undergraduate-level GIS course or 6 months of equivalent experience.
- Experience with ArcGIS or similar geographic information system (GIS) software.
- Ability to read topographic and other maps in both digital and
- Ability to interpret landscapes from a topographic map.
- Visualization of map feature relationships in 3 dimensions.
- Excellent written communication skills as evidenced by application material.
Enrollment Eligibility: During the semester term of the appointment, the student hourly must be enrolled in no fewer than 6 credit hours. For summer periods the student hourly must: 1) have been enrolled in no less than 6 hours in the past spring semester or 2) be pre-enrolled in upcoming fall semester in no less than 6 hours or 3) be enrolled in summer session or 4) be admitted to study in the upcoming fall semester. Student Hourlies may be undergraduate or graduate students. (Exceptions granted for GRA/GTA/GA appointments DO NOT apply to Student Hourly appointments).
Interviews will include an explanation of use and operation of the equipment and may include a trial digitizing exercise and a test of basic GIS skills either with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Computer programming, especially Python, Model Builder, C++, or Visual Basic in ArcGIS or other contexts.
- Major in geology, geography, or related field.
- Artistic ability in rendering stratigraphic columns and cross sections.
- Experience with graphics software such as Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw, or computer-aided drafting and design (CADD) software.
- Experience in digitizing maps.
- Experience with database and/or spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Access and/or Excel.
- Ability to follow precise verbal and written instructions.
- Available to work 20 hours per week during the academic year, including breaks. All hours are between 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Mon-Fri, with a minimum of 3-4 hour blocks of time.
Procedures for Applying
Apply online at http://employment.ku.edu/student/4141BR, Complete the online application and attach a resume and cover letter addressing the required and preferred qualifications. Position number is 00008347.
Person to Contact
Annette Delaney, Kansas Geological Survey
Closing Date for Applications
Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2015
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University's programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY. http://policy.ku.edu/IOA/nondiscrimination
Placed online Aug. 14, 2015
Comments to email@example.com
The URL for this page is http://www.kgs.ku.edu/General/jobs/2950621-2.html