Student Employment, Kansas Geological Survey
This position open only to students enrolled at the University of Kansas.
Working Job Title: Assistant GIS/Cartography Specialist (2950621-2)
One to two positions available.
Regular Hourly or Work Study
Hourly Rate: $9.90-10.50, depending on qualifications
Length of Appointment: Continuous, starting on or about February 3, 2014.
KGS Section: GIS Support/Cartographic Services (JD)
Hours Per Week: 20 hours per week during academic year and breaks;
30-40 hours per week during summer (possibly)
Business Hours: 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Develop cartographic and geological databases from preliminary electronic data and/or paper maps.
- Close visual inspection of digital maps and data.
- Ability to maintain concentration on a task.
- Analyze graphic displays and create and edit spatial databases.
- Populate attribute fields in databases and write geospatial metadata.
- Use graphics skills to design and edit map layouts and other documents.
- KU student, meeting minimum 6 hour enrollment requirements during
the academic year.
- Experience with ArcGIS or similar geographic information system (GIS) software.
- Ability to read topographic and other maps in both digital and
- Ability to interpret landscapes from a topographic map.
- Visualization of map feature relationships in 3 dimensions.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to follow precise verbal
and written instructions.
Interviews will include an explanation of use and operation of the equipment and may include a trial digitizing exercise and a test of basic GIS skills.
- Computer programming, especially Python, Model Builder, C++, or Visual Basic in ArcGIS or other contexts.
- Major in geology, geography, or related field.
- Artistic ability in rendering stratigraphic columns and cross sections.
- Experience with graphics software such as Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw, or computer-aided drafting and design (CADD) software.
- Experience in digitizing maps.
- Experience with database and/or spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Access and/or Excel.
- Ability to follow precise verbal and written instructions.
- Available to work 20 hours per week during the academic year, including breaks. All hours are between 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Mon-Fri, with a minimum of 3-4 hour blocks of time.
Procedures for Applying
Apply online at http://employment.ku.edu/jobs/4419, Complete the online application and attach a resume. Cover letter addressing the required and preferred qualifications is welcome but not required. Position number is 00008347.
Person to Contact
Annette Delaney, Kansas Geological Survey
Closing Date for Applications
January 23, 2014
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information and retaliation in the University's programs and activities. Access to information regarding equal opportunity and diversity worksite posters is available at http://www.humanresources.ku.edu/policies_procedures/category_details/index.aspx?category=8 or you may contact 785-864-4946 or firstname.lastname@example.org for alternate access options. Any inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies should be directed to: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY
Placed online Dec. 19, 2013
Comments to email@example.com
The URL for this page is http://www.kgs.ku.edu/General/jobs/2950621-2.html