Student Employment, Kansas Geological Survey
This position open only to students enrolled at the University of Kansas.
Working Job Title: Assistant GIS/Cartography Specialist (2950621-2)
Regular Hourly or Work Study
Hourly Rate: $9.90-10.50, depending on qualifications
Approx. Start Date: Sept. 26, 2016
KGS Section: GIS Support/Cartographic Services (JD)
Hours Per Week: 10-15 hrs/week during academic year/breaks
Business Hours: 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Develop cartographic and geological databases from preliminary electronic data and/or paper maps.
- Close visual inspection of digital maps and data.
- Ability to maintain concentration on a task.
- Analyze graphic displays and create and edit spatial databases.
- Populate attribute fields in databases and write geospatial metadata.
- Use graphics skills to design and edit map layouts and other documents.
- KU student, meeting the minimum 6 hour enrollment requirement during the academic year.
- Successful completion of two undergraduate-level GIS course or 1 year of equivalent experience.
- Experience with ArcGIS or similar geographic information system (GIS) software.
- Ability to read topographic and other maps in both digital and
- Ability to interpret landscapes from a topographic map.
- Visualization of map feature relationships in 3 dimensions.
- Excellent written communication skills as evidenced by application material.
Interviews will include an explanation of use and operation of the equipment and may include a test of basic GIS skills either with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Computer programming, especially Python, Model Builder, C++, or Visual Basic in ArcGIS or other contexts.
- Major in geology, geography, or related field.
- Artistic ability in rendering stratigraphic columns and cross sections.
- Experience with graphics software such as Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw, or computer-aided drafting and design (CADD) software.
- Experience in digitizing maps.
- Experience with database and/or spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Access and/or Excel.
- Ability to follow precise verbal and written instructions.
- Available to work 15-20 hours per week during the academic year, including breaks. All hours are between 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Mon-Fri, with a minimum of 3-4 hour blocks of time.
Procedures for Applying
Apply online at http://employment.ku.edu/student/7131BR. Upload a resume, a cover letter addressing the required and preferred qualifications, and unofficial transcripts. [Internal: Position number is 00008361.]
Person to Contact
Annette Delaney, Kansas Geological Survey
Closing Date for Applications
Sept. 18, 2016
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University's programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY. http://policy.ku.edu/IOA/nondiscrimination
Placed online Sept.8, 2016
Comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
The URL for this page is http://www.kgs.ku.edu/General/jobs/2950621-2.html