John J. Woods
GIS Specialist, Geohydrology, Kansas Geological Survey
- Kansas Geological Survey
- 1930 Constant Avenue
- Lawrence, KS 66047-3724
- Phone: (785) 864-2172
- Fax: (785) 864-5317
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- B.S. (Chemistry), University of California at Berkeley, 1973
- M.S. (Chemistry), Wichita State University, 1977
- GIS Specialist, Geohydrology, (2007-present).
- Research Support Specialist,Geohydrology, Kansas Geological Survey (1994-present).
- Scientific Applications and GIS Programmer, Geohydrology, Kansas Geological Survey (1990-1994).
- Scientific Applications Programmer in Groundwater and Basin Modeling Group, Kansas Geological Survey (1986-1990).
- Scientific Applications Programmer in Remote Sensing Group, Center for Research Inc., University of Kansas (1986-1987).
- Microcomputer Laboratory Instructor and Teaching Assistant, University of Kansas (1985-1986).
- Computer Science Tutor, Supportive Educational Services, University of Kansas (1982-1985).
- Scientific Applications Programmer, Molecular Theory Group, Department of Chemistry, University of Kansas (1978-1981).
- Laboratory Instructor and Teaching Assistant, Department of Chemistry, Wichita State University (1974-1978).
Interests and Expertise:
- Geographic Information Systems
- Relational Database Management
- Statistical Analysis Methods
- Application Programming and Development
- Poster session award, Kansas Academy of Science annual meeting (2003)
- Frank C. Foley Geohydrology student award, (1992 and 2002)
- Phi Lambda Upsilon (honorary chemical society), 1980
- Graduate Research Fellowship, Wichita State University, 1977-1978
Activities & Memberships
- Stochastic Adaptive Control Group, Mathematics Department, University of Kansas
- Chairman of the Nominations Committee, Graduate Student Forum, Chemistry Department, Wichita State University.
Selected Recent Publications:
- Olea, R.A, Sophocleous, M.A., and Woods, J.J., 2002. Expansion
for the High Plains Aquifer Observation Network of water wells in southwest
Kansas, Kansas Geological Survey, Open File Report 2002-35, 2 p., 1 plate.
- Woods, J. J., Schloss, J. A., and Macfarlane, P. A., 2000.
January 2000 Kansas water levels and data related to water-level changes,
Kansas Geological Survey, Technical Series 15, 89 p.
- Buddemeier, R.W., Whittemore, D.O., Schloss, J.A., Woods, J.J.,
Macfarlane, P.A.,Young, D.P., Wilson, B.B., Misgna, L.E.D., Maxwell, B.A.,
and Bartley, J. D., 2000. The High Plains aquifer and Kansas water needs;
a fiscal year 2000 report on KGS-KWO contracts 99-132 and 00-124: Kansas
Geological Survey, Open File Report 2000-29, CD.
- Woods, J. J., Schloss, J. A., Mosteller, J., and
Buddemeier, R. W., 2000, Estimated history of decline in saturated thickness of
the Ogallala portions of the High Plains aquifer, groundwater management
districts, and river basins, in Schloss, J. A., Buddemeier, R. W., and
Wilson, B. B., editors., An atlas of the High Plains aquifer: Kansas Geological
Survey, Educational Series 14, 92 p.
- Woods, J.J., Sophocleous, M. A., 2006. Set of (water availability)
maps for Southwest Kansas Groundwater Management District:
Kansas Geological Survey, Open-file Report 2005-20, 9 plates.
- Woods, J.J., and Sophocleous, M.A., 2002. Set of maps for Southwest
Kansas Groundwater Management District: Kansas Geological Survey,
Open-file Report 2002-26, 5 plates.
- Woods, J.J., and Sophocleous, M.A., 2003. Historic, current, and
projected depletion of the Ogallala aquifer in southwestern Kansas:
Kansas Academy of Science, 135th Annual Meeting Proceedings, Pittsburg State
University, Pittsburg, KS, April 11-12, 2003.
Kansas Geological Survey, Geohydrology Section
Updated Feb. 23, 2007
Comments to email@example.com