Table 12--Records of wells and springs in Chase County.
|Location||Owner or tenant||Type of well
|Depth of well,
|Diam. of well,
|Type of casing||Principal water-bearing bed||Method of lift
|Measuring point||Depth to water level,
|Remarks (Yield given in gallons a minute; drawdown in ft)|
|Character of material||Geologic source||Description||Feet above land surface|
|T. 21 S., R. 5 E.|
|21-5-12 ca||NE SW sec. 12||Dave Wheeler||Du||51.9||30||R||Limestone||Florence ls||Cy, H||D||Top of casing||0.9||46.5||9/23/47||Not adequate. Haul water in dry years|
|T. 21 S., R. 6 E.|
|21-6-8 bc||SW NW sec. 8||John Crissup||DD||28.5||42 & 6||R||Limestone and shale||Matfield sh||Cy, W||S||Top of concrete curbing around well||1.3||21.72||9/23/47|
|21-6-21 ad||SE NE sec. 21||F. K. Harshman||Dr||84.3||7||GI||Limestone||Towanda ls||Cy, W||D, S||Top of casing||1||50.73||9/23/47|
|21-6-22 aa||NE NE sec. 22||M. S. Ludwig||Dr||100||7||I||Limestone||Towanda ls and/or Winfield ls||Cy, W||S||do||1.1||66.4||9/23/47|
|21-6-28 ab||NW NE sec. 28||H. E. Williams||Dr||97.2||7||GI||Limestone||Winfield||Cy, W||S||do||1.5||77.28||9/23/47|
|21-6-28 dd||SE SE sec. 28||Geo. Whitcomb||Dr||67.4||6.5||I||Limestone||Winfield||Cy, W||D, S||Top of concrete cover||0.7||58.54||9/19/47|
|21-6-29 cb||NW SW sec. 29||Dave Little||Dr||49.3||8||GI||Limestone||Towanda ls and Gage sh||Cy, W||S||Top of casing||2.3||36.7||9/19/47||Reported adequate|
|21-6-30 bb||NW NW sec. 30||Cora F. Griffith||Dr||50.8||6.5||I||Limestone||Barneston ls||Cy, H||D, S||do||0.1||31.58||9/23/47||Reported adequate|
|21-6-35 bb||NW NW sec. 35||Lloyd Thompson||Dr||89.6||8||I||Limestone||Winfield ls and/or Towanda ls||Cy, W||D,S||do||1||59.46||9/23/47||Reported adequate; yield +5|
|21-6-36 cc||SW SW sec. 36||C. P. Thompson||Dr||68.3||10||GI||Limestone||Fort Riley ls||Cy, W||D, S, I||do||1||44.88||9/19/47||Reported yield +5|
|T. 21 S., R. 7 E.|
|21-7-3 aa||NE NE sec. 3||James C. McNee||Dr||6.5||I||Limestone||Wreford ls||F||S||do||2.7||10/29/47||Well reported originally +/-100 ft deep; yield +/-1|
|21-7-8 dd||SE SE sec. 8||C. B. Cowley||Dr||108.4||6.5||GI||Limestone||Barneston ls||Cy, W||S||do||0||21.12||9/17/47||Reported adequate, yield +10|
|21-7-9 ad||SE NE sec. 9||L. C. Elder||Sp||Limestone||Florence ls||S||10/29/47||Rock Spring; measured yield, 34|
|21-7-11 cb||NW SW sec. 11||George Meiser||Dr||40||8||GI||Limestone and shale||Matfield sh||Cy, H||D||Top of casing||0||17.04||9/12/47||Reported adequate, yield +4|
|21-7-17 aa||NE NE sec. 17||George Pierce||Dr||59.7||7||GI||Limestone||Towanda ls and Fort Riley ls||Cy, W||N||do||1||34.06||9/17/47||Not in use|
|21-7-18 cc||SW SW sec. 18||Comm. of Ins. State of Kansas||Dr||97.2||7||I||Limestone||Barneston ls||Cy, W||D, S||do||1.1||29.98||9/19/47||Reported adequate|
|21-7-19 ad||SE NE sec. 19||Orvis O'Dell||Dr||82.2||6||GI||Limestone||Barneston ls||Cy, W||D, S||do||1.8||23.07||9/18/47||Estimated yield 10+|
|21-7-21 bb||NW NW sec. 21||Guy Rosebraugh||Dr||101.7||7.5||I||Limestone||Towanda ls and Fort Riley ls||Cy, W||D, S||do||0.3||53.5||9/17/47||Pumped continuously 7 hrs previous to W.L. measurement|
|21-7-21 cc||SW SW sec. 21||Stella Moore||Dr||98.3||7||I||Limestone||Towanda ls||Cy, W||S||do||1.3||70.64||9/17/47|
|21-7-32 bb||NW NW sec. 32||Doris Stevens||Dr||105.7||8.5||I||Limestone||Towand ls and Fort Riley ls||Cy, W||D, S||do||1.3||72.52||9/18/47||Estimated yield 5+|
|21-7-33 da||NE SE sec. 33||Glen W. Baker||Dr||100||5-6||GI||Limestone||Towand ls and Fort Riley ls||Cy, W||D, S||do||0.2||82.5||9/12/47||Not in use|
|T. 21 S., R. 8 E.|
|21-8-15 ba||NE NW sec. 15||Jay P. Sharp||Dr||64||8||GI||Limestone and shale||Beattie ls||Cy, W||D, S||do||0||28||6/23/48||Estimated yield 2+/-|
|21-8-15 da||NE SE sec. 15||W. Pinkstone||Du||31.2||45||R||Sand and gravel||Alluvium||Cy, H||D, S||Top of concrete cover||1.5||17.34||9/25/47||Dry in 1913; low in 1936|
1. Location number: Well numbers give the location of wells according to General Land Office surveys and according to the following formula: Township--Range--Section, 160-acre tract within that section, and the 40-acre tract within the quarter section. If two or more wells are located within a 40-acre tract, the wells are numbered serially according to the order in which they were inventoried. The 160-acre and 40 acre tracts are designated a, b, c, or d in a counterclockwise direction beginning in the northeast quarter. For example: well 18-6-1cd is located in the SE SW sec. 1, T. 18 S., R. 6 E.
2. DD, dug and drilled well; Dr, drilled well; Du, dug well, Sp, spring.
3. Reported depths below the land surface are given in feet; measured depths are given in feet and tenths below measuring points.
4. Br, brick; C, concrete; GI, galvanized sheet iron; I, iron; N, none; OW, oil-well casing; R, rock; T, tile.
5. Method of lift: Cy, cylinder; F, natural flow; N, none; P, pitcher pump; T, turbine. Type of power: E, electric; G, gas engine; H, hand operated; N, none; W, windmill.
6. D, domestic; I, irrigation; N, not being used; S, stock; P, public supply.
7. Measured depths to water level are given in feet, tenths, and hundredths; reported depths to water level are given in feet. All depths are below measuring point.
Kansas Geological Survey, Chase County Geohydrology
Placed on web March 2001; originally published Aug. 1951.
Comments to email@example.com
The URL for this page is http://www.kgs.ku.edu/General/Geology/Chase/records4.html